Organisational and occupational psychiatry is the subspecialty of psychiatry that focuses on work, its importance in the lives of individuals and work organisations.
The importance of work to the mental health of individuals is reflected in the quote attributed to Sigmund Freud:
“Love and work are the cornerstones of our humanness.”
Our productivity and work are invariably enmeshed in our psychological wellbeing
Mental health problems costs the UK economy around £15.1 billion perannum in workplace absenteeism and is accountable for 40% of work related sick leave in the UK.
‘Presenteeism’ (lost productivity while at work) accounts for 1.5 times as much loss again and is a vital concernfor those in safety critical roles or leaders in the business world who need to be ‘at the top of their game’.
Aside from the economic burden, we know that workplace mental health problems cause distress to employees and their colleagues, take up management time, impact on morale and team dynamics, and can lead to the loss of valuable trained staff.
Cognacity’s excellent team of mental health experts, led by Dr Amy Iversen, one of the UK’s leading Occupational Psychiatrists, have specific expertise and understanding about the relationship between work and mental health.
Our Occupational Psychiatry team works with organisations and individuals providing a range of expert occupational support and advice.
Working with employees, line managers, Human Resources, and Occupational Health providers we provide:
- Comprehensive mental health assessments on employees
- Accurate diagnosis, prognosis, treatment advice & onward management informed by current NICE guidance and by other emerging high quality evidence
- Detailed reports focused on occupational functioning.
- Holistic care which protect & support employees and their companies
- Advice to organisations on challenging employees
- Medico-legal reporting to organisations for employment tribunals
- Pre-recruitment / promotion psychometric assessment
- Organisational consultancy on psychological wellbeing programmes
To receive a free assessment, please fill in the form below.
Cognacity use a cutting-edge risk management tool called Organisation Human Factor Benchmark (OHFB), which allows you to benchmark your company’s risk of stress, burnout and disengagement against established norms. The OHFB is supported by a predictive model that allows for the proactive management of risks for employees, teams and individuals. This allows targeted, evidence-based interventions to be implemented at both organisation or individual level.